Saturday, May 17, 2008

Salad Bread

Yesterday afternoon we stopped by our neighbors' house to return their log spliter. While my husband hauled it back into the shed and started yapping with the man of the house, I stepped in the kitchen to see what my good friend Jenny was up to. She was making something she called Salad Bread, and I don't think I've ever smelled something so good. We weren't able to stay long enough to sample it, but she emailed me the recipe and I can't wait to make it myself, especially with my own produce this summer. She said she found the recipe in Midwest Living Magazine, and that it could be served as a hors d'oeuvre or side to a meal. I think it could BE the meal!

Salad Bread

1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 8-ounce loaf baguette-style French bread, split in half lengthwise
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
2 tomatoes, seeded & chopped
1/2 c. chopped green sweet pepper
1/4 c. thinly sliced green onion tops

1. Spread butter evenly over cut sides of bread. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Top with shredded cheese, tomatoes, sweet peppers and onion tops. Wrap each half loosely in foil. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through.
2. To serve, cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch thick slices. Makes 24 slices.

2 comments:

Susan Moorhead said...

Whoa. This with soup would be just this side of terrific :)

alison said...

I think it would be great with soup, too - a nice easy supper with a big dose of veggies!