Thursday, May 15, 2008

Repurposing in the Garden

This year I decided I would try to soften the big walls of our barn with some trellises of climbing vines. After a trip to the hardware store, I discovered this project would cost way more than I wanted to spend - I'd need several trellises, and they were $20 and up. Then I got the bright idea to try to make them out of branches and wire, which was fun but only produced one arch (not to mention a big welt on my cheek!) after several hours of effort. What else could I use? How I wished I had a collection of antique ladders or something.

I had gone in the basement to see what I could find when my eyes landed on my children's crib - broken and dusty but impossible to part with. A-hah! Perfect! I took it apart and instantly had 4 lovely trellises, not to mention some new, valuable storage space. Now I can watch the morning glories and clematis climb those spindles that once surrounded my chubby little dreamers.

Today I'm going to call my older sisters and let them know about this idea. They both have cribs in their basements that are still in fine shape but not up to the safety standards of today to be used for the grandchildren. Now they can happily get them out of the house without any sadness and cultivate joyful memories in their gardens.

3 comments:

Beth said...

what a great way to re-use a precious object and retain the memories while making new ones.

alison said...

Hi Beth,

I love when people ask where I got my "little wooden trellis" - it's fun to tell the story, and my kids think it's neat too.

Nan said...

I wish I'd read this before throwing ours away. :<( What a great way to keep something special - like those quilts people make out of their children's clothes.