Thursday, May 22, 2008

My Bittersweet Relationship - Any Advice?

For the past two years I have tried, unsuccessfully, to get Bittersweet vines growing on a section of fence in my yard. I planted both a male and a female, and still haven't had any luck. Maybe I need to try lighting some candles and playing my Romance in Venice cd! I just don't understand why it grows rampantly in the wild along old fences and stiles along the train tracks and not in my yard where it is cared for so tenderly. If anyone has any advice, I'd be so thankful.

2 comments:

Nan said...

I did a little search and found there are two kinds:

invasive Oriental bittersweet (Celastrus orbiculatus)

the native American bittersweet (C. scandens)

I had heard about the invasive kind. And then in my wildflower book (northeastern and north-central north america) the one we have is mentioned - solanum dulcamara, also called nightshade. It's in the tomato family.

So there's a lot of info that doesn't answer your question at all, but might give you new ones. :<)

alison said...

Hi Nan,

Thanks so much for the information. I'm actually visiting the nursery where I purchased my vines last year, and this time I'll pay attention to the tag. I suppose I'd prefer the native American one you mentioned. It's so frustrating, but I'm not ready to give up - I have too many dreams of hosting autumnal wreath- making parties in the barn to use up an abundance of vines exploding with berries!