Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots

Last night, in hopes of finding some garden inspiration despite the cold weather we've been having, I got out one of my favorite gardening books - Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots by Sharon Lovejoy. Originally I purchase it as a guide to help me get my children into gardening, but I have found it to contain more of my favorite outdoor ideas than in any of the many "grown-up" gardening books I've read. Some of the ideas I plan to not just read about this year, but actually do, are planting an enchanting moon garden, planning a seed saving party, and, if time allows, creating what Ms. Lovejoy calls a "snacking and sipping garden" full of veggies, fruits, herbs, & edible flowers. If you enjoy the work of Susan Branch like I do, I think you'll enjoy this book's information intermingled with tips & quotes, not to mention the whimsical artwork.

2 comments:

Marcie said...

I just found your blog through Nan's Letters from a Hill Farm. I've known Nan for years and years, so I knew that if she enjoyed your blog, I would too (which is proving to be true!)

Have you found Sharon Lovejoy's blog yet? Her blog addy is http://sharonlovejoy.blogspot.com .
She doesn't post very often, but when she does it is lovely to get a glimpse of her gardens, and here what project she is working on. I have blogged about her Sunflower Houses and Hollyhock Days books in the past. She is my favorite garden writer!

Nice to meet you!

~ Aisling

alison said...

Hi Aisling,

Thanks so much for stopping by. I didn't realize Sharon Lovejoy had a blog - I will soon be checking it out, along with yours! :)