Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Amish Cream Pie

Today I made what will probably be my final Amish Cream Pie of the season. Because I associate it's flavor with coziness and the cold weather months, I'm hoping my cravings for it will soon stop and turn to key lime! But today it's dreary outside, and a thick fog rolled in off the lake and surrounded the farm, so this pie is cooling on the counter. The notes with the recipe call it "comfort in a crust", and it is, indeed!

Amish Cream Pie

3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 c. half&half or light cream
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 baked 9-inch pie shell
ground cinnamon for dusting

1. In a medium saucepan, stir together the granulated sugar, cornstarch, & salt. Whisk in the half&half or light cream and cook and stir over medium heat till the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, brown sugar & vanilla till butter melts. Pour into baked pie shell and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
2. Bake the pie in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes (the center of the pie won't be set). Cool the pie on a wire rack for about 1 hour. Chill for 3-6 hours before serving (pie will set up upon chilling); cover and store in the refrigerator. Serves 8. Yum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm... Yum!!!

It's supposed to be a dreary weekend here and I fear it must be filled with spring house cleaning (which will not improve the general mood). This, however, for a midafternoon break, might just make it bearable, particularly since I pulled a pie crust out of the freezer earlier this week.

-sprite

alison said...

Hi sprite,

I hope you enjoy the recipe. I always try to take just a sliver, and then end up going back for a big slab! I don't know who I think I'm kidding!

alison