Monday, July 7, 2008

Thoughts on a Screen Porch - Book Passage

"My idea of bliss is a screen-in porch from which you can watch the sun go down, or come up. You can sit in temperate shade and not fry your brains while you eat. You are protected from flying critters, sandstorms and rain and you can still enjoy a nice cool breeze.
One year my husband and I rented a lake cottage - a rustic cabin set in a pine grove just a stroll from a weed-choked lake. With it came a war canoe and a screened-in porch. The motto of the owners seemed to have been: "It's broken! Let's take it to the lake!"
We ate on the screened-in porch all the time and with great success. Friends with beautiful houses came to our broken-down lake cottage to eat on that crummy porch and watch the sun set over the lake."
- Laurie Colwin in Home Cooking


This sounds heavenly to me! Wish I had a screen porch.

5 comments:

Marcie said...

I've always loved the idea of a screen porch, or one with lots and lots of windows that could be opened to the screen. Sounds heavenly to me too!

Susan Moorhead said...

I love a screen porch, too. You get all the benefit of outside without the bugs! Maybe in the next house...and a fireplace would be nice, too! (I will stop complaining since the central air is keeping the house nice and cool and I should be grateful!)(but I still want a screen porch, too!)

Nan said...

I love this passage, and I loved the book. My personal reality is that even with screens the noseeums get in. At night we don't turn on any lights so we won't draw them into the house.

alison said...

Though I don't have a screen porch, I've found that pulling a chair up in front of the screen door is also enjoyable. Sure, I look like a nut, but no one sees me but my family, and a book is so much more enjoyable with a bit of a breeze!

Unknown said...

Why don't you build one, Allison? Porches are great way to enjoy the outside while still being at home. The place could also be use as venue to hold dinner and gathering with friends. Plus, it makes the house more appealing.
Angelina Garcia @ Archadeck.com