Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Floating Flowers

Early this morning I took a walk around the yard in search of blooms to make a little arrangement in my favorite vase for the kitchen table. I don't have much to choose from yet - the coneflowers, beebalm etc. are on the brink of bloom but not quite there. My blanket flowers have started, but were covered with too many busy bees for me to dare reach in and pluck even one. I had to turn to my containers of annuals, and cut a few scarlet zinnias while under attack of wretched mosquitoes. My daughter insisted on "helping" by bringing them to the house in her bike basket, and I didn't notice when she folded, actually more like snapped, the stems to make them fit inside for transport. I exchanged my tall vase for a glass bowl filled with water, snipped the flower heads from their fractured bodies, and let my daughter set them afloat. Lovely!

"Arranging a bowl of flowers in the morning
can give a sense of quiet in a crowded day."
-Anne Morrow Lindbergh

No comments: