Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Warm-weather CD Favorite - Dan Zanes - Nightime!

One of my absolute favorite cds that gets me in a summer mood is Nighttime! by Dan Zanes and Friends. I first purchased this cd for the kids, and I soon found myself playing it in the car and the kitchen even if they weren't around. He sings all kinds of evening - themed songs with titles such as Firefly, Linger for Awhile, and my favorite - Night Owl.

Here are Night Owl's lyrics - read them and you'll see why I love it so...

see the shadows as they creep like vines
the sun is sinking and i love this time
i guess i'm just - whoo whoo
a night owl

the stars are winking and the hillside glows
the moons inviting us out so let's go
i guess we're just- whoo whoo
night owls

so we'll fly over the rooftops
and down by the trees
throwing our cares out into the breeze
and we'll sleep when we please

now it's time to say hello to some friends
follow the singing and the laughing and then
we'll find a tree
filled with night owls

and we'll fly over the rooftops
and down by the trees
throwing our cares out into the breeze
and we'll sleep when we please

well the night seems as endless as the ocean is deep
and even night owls need a little sleep
and i guess it's time - whoo whoo
for this night owl

This cd also has beautiful version of Wild Mountain Thyme which Dan sings with the lovely Dar Williams.
He has a wonderful website - danzanes.com if you'd like to check him out. If you do, be sure you look at the artwork on his cds - whimsically beautiful!

2 comments:

Susan Moorhead said...

Oh, I have to so check that out! I am a fan of Dan Zanes - have gotten a few of his cds for the library (love his "Jump up" song which has an accompanying picture book). I haven't heard of this one though - (and I want to hear it for me, not the kids!)

alison said...

I bet you'll love it, Susan! And the cd insert artwork and commentaries are also excellent.