Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Lemonade Stand

On my way home from the grocery store today I saw a little boy and girl selling lemonade in their front yard. Although I was in a little bit of a hurry because I had ice cream in the trunk, I pulled over to buy a glass. I never, ever pass up a child selling lemonade - I think I'm emotionally scarred from my own unsuccessful childhood entrepreneurial attempts on my very quiet street (no customers until Dad pulled around the corner from work). The two kids were so excited as I walked up the drive, the girl quickly getting a cup unstuck off the stack and the boy trying to catch a slippery ice cube with his bare little hand to plunk in the cup. I told them my usual lemonade line - "Boy, am I glad to see you guys. It's such a hot day, and I'm SO THIRSTY, and I would just love a glass of your lemonade - it looks so refreshing!" I didn't have any change with me but I dug out a dollar, gave it to them and told them to keep the change for a tip. You'd have thought it was a hundred dollar bill, they looked so pleased. It wasn't until I was leaving that I looked closely at the little sign they had tied to a tree. It said:

Ice Cold Lemonade

10 cents a glass

or

2 for 75 cents

Needless to say, I smiled all the way home!

2 comments:

Susan Moorhead said...

You are a sweetheart - I remember my poor guys trying to sell lemonade in front of a condo we lived in years ago that was on a super busy road. They insisted on trying though and it was kind of heartbreaking and then suddenly this truck stops, blocks traffic, this big ole guy gets out and takes his time crossing the street and asks for some lemonade. You can imagine their happiness.
How terrific that you stop for lemonade stands when you see them.

Nan said...

I love it! Just as I imagine you to be, Alison.