Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Summer Visit to Stillmeadow

Under my bedside table, kept in a reverent stack, are my beloved Gladys Taber books. Each month, one by one, I read her monthly chapter (most of her books are arranged this way) and relish in her stories and descriptions of the current season. Last night I was finishing up the "Junes" and found myself cheating a bit into the "Julys".

"The moonlight is whiter than pearl over the meadow these July nights. The small businesses of the day and the worries are magicked away by the soft glow. You can step from the door of the little white house into a white foam of moonlight on the dark crest of the wave of night."
-Gladys Taber The Book of Stillmeadow

I hadn't seen the word "magicked" before, and I couldn't find it in my dictionary. Maybe it's not truly a word, but I like it anyway, and I certainly know what she meant by it. :)

4 comments:

Blair Frodelius said...

You might enjoy this Gladys Taber website:

http://stillmeadowshoppe.spaces.live.com

Blair

alison said...

Thanks, Blair, for the website information. I can't wait to check it out!

Shelley said...

Dear Alison...

I hope that you'll visit my site.

http://groups.msn.com/StillmeadowFriends

We're a friendly group who loves Gladys Taber.

alison said...

Hi Shelley,

I look forward to visiting your Stillmeadow Friends site - anyone who loves Gladys is certainly a friend of mine! :)