Tuesday, June 24, 2008

We'll drink to Summertime!

Tonight one of my big sisters is coming over for dinner. She is fresh off her daughter's wedding last week and HAS HAD IT, so I'm cooking her favorite fish taco dish. Last time she visited me I got in trouble because my beverage selection was limited to milk and apple juice. I've planned ahead this time, and tonight she won't be able to give me any grief - not to mention I think she REALLY deserves a drink!

I made these 2 concoctions yesterday, and she can pick her poison(s) -

Almond Tea

4 Tbsp. instant tea
1/2 c. sugar
2 cups warm water
1 cup pineapple juice
1 12 oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
2 tsps. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
5 cups water and ice

Adult version: Add 1 cup or more vodka

Dissolve tea & sugar in warm water. Add remaining ingredients. Chill & enjoy! Makes 2-1/2 quarts. A fine drink with or without the booze.


Drink # 2 (because I had pineapple juice left)

Sneaky Pete Slush

2 16 oz. cans frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 c. cranberry juice cocktail
2 12 oz. cans frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
2 c. pineapple juice
1 fifth vodka
2 liters 7-UP

Mix together all ingredients except 7-Up. Freeze overnight. To serve, scoop into cups and pour 7-up over the frozen mixture.

We'll sit on the deck, I'll plug in my sparkly white lights for ambience, and I'll play my best of Harry Belafonte cd. And all her wedding stress will be left behind.

1 comment:

Nan said...

I wish I could have joined you! I really, really have to try some of your drinks!