Thursday, June 5, 2008

Shucks! No shucks!

A few weeks ago the fields surrounding our house were planted, and I've been waiting impatiently to see the first signs of growth. Usually I see the farmers when they are planting and ask them what the crop will be, since we will be living on our island (yard) in a sea of it for 5 months or more, but this year I missed them. On my way to the mailbox today I bent down to inspect the green that had popped up and was SO DISAPPOINTED to see little soybeans and not the corn I was hoping for. I know the farmers have to rotate their crops, and I don't have anything against the soybean (with their shiny leaves, they do make for a pretty crop) but I really wanted my "wall" of corn this year. For the past three years it surrounded us, made us feel secluded and safe, lured deer within our sight, made beautiful rustling music, and danced for us in the fall. Shucks, I say, no shucks!:(

No comments: