Sunday, October 19, 2008

Reading, Watching, Listening

Here are some things I've been enjoying lately:

Reading:


All books by Patrick McManus
Have you ever read a book by an author and find yourself only in the mood to read another and another by the same person? That's what happened to me recently when I accidently found a group of Patrick McManus books at the library. He's been compared to Garrison Keillor and Mark Twain with a little Dave Barry thrown in - a lovely combination if you ask me. He mainly writes about his activities in the great outdoors, and as an "outdoorsy" type I can relate to many of his follies. His books also consist of anecdotes that run just 6 pages or so a piece, making it possible to grab a book any old time and enjoy a quick laugh.



Watching: Monster's Inc.

It's unusual for me to find an animated movie that I like, let alone LOVE, but I found it in Monster's Inc. My kids saw it several years ago but it was just the other day that I watched it for myself. I found it to be hilarious, mainly because of the many, many humorous details directed at adults.




Listening: Indigo Girls, Rites of Passage
There's just something about this cd that says "October" to me, and I'm not quite sure why. I love the first 8 songs, especially "Galileo" featuring Jackson Browne and David Crosby. Beautiful lyrics all around, with a song for Virginia Woolf to boot!

2 comments:

Nan said...

I haven't read McManus, but I've seen his books, I think. Seems like an animal on the front of one?? Now, that's a helpful description isn't it?!!

I'm not an animated film watcher either though I liked The Incredibles - I think because it was about a family.

I love Galileo, and the Hammer and A Nail song. What is the VW song? I'll go buy it at iTunes. They have such wonderful voices.

alison said...

Hi Nan,
It's simply called "Virginia Woolf". It's not one of my absolute favorites by IG, but I love the lyrics and as you said their voices are beautiful & unique.