Monday, September 22, 2008

Happy Autumn!

I was a child not much given to philosophical speculation, but the fact that my family, which doesn't do much traveling, would drive a hundred miles to see trees in autumn foliage made a big impression. I got the message even then that these trees, these colors, these smells and sounds, these ceremonies of passage, were important."
-Ann Zwinger

Summer's loss seems little, dear, on days like these.

- Ernest Dowson

The leaves fall, the wind blows, and the farm country slowly changes from the summer cottons into its winter wools.
- Henry Beston

Two sounds of autumn are unmistakable...the hurrying rustle of crisp leaves blown along the street by a gusty wind, and the gabble of a flock of migrating geese.

- Hal Borland

2 comments:

Nan said...

I love these words. Especially the use of 'dear' in the second one. It's just so special, somehow. And I love Beston's cottons and wools. Perfect! Thank you.

alison said...

So glad you liked this, Nan. I like Beston's quote especially - it's so true.