Friday, September 19, 2008

Gladys Taber Ushers in Autumn

I've really been neglecting my blog lately! This is certainly because of the start of the school year for my children and all that goes with it. We're also just getting over bad colds which always seem to come home with the kids the second week of school.

I've had a little trouble letting go of summer this year, mainly because of the family having to return to our regimented days. As usual, I turn to my dear Gladys for encouragment of the transition to autumn...


- At the end of the swamp, a narrow road turns right to the house. The giant sugar maples that surround it are spreading a deep green canopy above the slant roof and I look up at them and tell them that the first swamp maple is turning. Whether they believe me or not, I do not know. They are inscrutable. They are also very independent. Sometimes the biggest one at the corner of the yard will be summer green while the one back where the barn burned is flaming with glory. Why?
Weather conditions are the same for all of them, one is no more sheltered that another, and they are the same age, judging by their size. I like to think one tree decides to keep summer a bit longer and one impetuously responds to the tide of oncoming autumn. Trees are not remotely like people, but I reflect that I know some people who have never let summer go and others who begin to think winter thoughts in July. Perhaps it is all temperament.
After summer's work is over, there is an interval before autumn chores begin. What better time to follow some winding country road?
-Gladys Taber, Stillmeadow Calendar

No comments: