Monday, August 25, 2008

lovely little swooping swallows

We always have had an abundant barn swallow population around here, but man, they've been wild as of late. I truly appreciate the enormous amount of insects they eat, and I shudder to think what it'd be like around here without them. However, lately they come swooping down so low by my head that I panic that they're actually AFTER ME (or is it just my ridiculous floral pony tail holder?)! I've never heard of anyone getting beaned accidently by a swallow, so I guess I'll just go about my business and hope they use their finely-tuned navigational instincts to steer clear of my noggin!


Here's a little interesting info. I found about them on birds.com:


A familiar inhabitant of barns and other outbuildings, the Barn Swallow is easily recognized by its long forked tail. It was originally a cave breeder, but now the swallow nests almost exclusively on man-made structures.


Description
Small slender songbird.
Tail long and forked.
Upperparts steely iridescent blue.
Underparts rufous.
Size: 15-19 cm (6-7 in)
Wingspan: 29-32 cm (11-13 in)

Song: a twittery series of squeaky notes, often with dry rattle in the middle.



Cool Facts
-The Barn Swallow is the most abundant and widely distributed swallow species in the world. It breeds throughout the northern hemisphere and winters in much of the southern hemisphere.
-The long tail of a Barn Swallow may indicate the quality of the individual bird. Females prefer to mate with males that have the longest and most symmetrical tails.
-An unmated male Barn Swallow may kill the nestlings of a nesting pair. His actions often succeed in breaking up the pair and afford him the opportunity to mate with the female.


That last part sounds like it belongs on a talk show! Naughty males!


This post wouldn't be complete without me mentioning one of my favorite Wailin' Jennys songs, Swallow, from their beautiful Firecracker album:

Oh swallow
What did you swallow?
You swoop so low
You come and you go

2 comments:

Nan said...

Hey Alison, I read this a few days ago, and have thought about it since. Our swallows have been gone quite a while now, and I'm so surprised they swooped you. I don't know so much about swallows, but I thought their swooping was earlier in the year. I didn't like to hear about those fellows killing babies. I think that shows thinking, not dumb animals (birds). The detective books would say, malice aforethought.

alison said...

My husband said that the swallows are just after the bugs I'm stirring up as I walk around the yard - he has many memories of "being attacked" by swallows as a boy cutting the lawn - he used to get so mad at them because he thought they were just after him, but now realizes they just wanted the buzzing wingeds!