Friday, February 26, 2010

On Demand O'Henry Bars

Last night, out of the blue, my 8 year old son asked me to make what we call O'Henry Bars (not sure why). Because the ingredients are simple and always on hand, I was able to oblige in minutes. "These will be his home from college request," said my husband.

O'Henry Bars
4 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter

Mix together oatmeal, butter, and both sugars. Pat into 10X15 inch cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12 mintues. Cool.
For frosting, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter together over low heat. Spread evenly over bars. Because the frosting stays quite soft, it's best to keep these bars in the fridge. You probably don't need to cover them - they'll be gone by tomorrow.

2 comments:

nan said...

So glad to see you are blogging again! I saw your blog in bold on my bloglines feed, and just want you to know that I'll read when you write :-) These sound good. I have all the ingredients on hand typically -- except for the chocolate chips. I wonder how they'd be with just peanut butter? My 11 yo son has his favorite dessert that we think will be his "home from college" request: peanut butter pie in a chocolate graham cracker crust. It is too time consuming for me to make often...

alison said...

Hi Nan,

Thanks for stopping by! I think the bars would be good with just peanut butter - probably like a peanut butter granola bar. Yum!