Sunday, February 28, 2010

Gladys Taber's Full Snow Moon

The Full Snow Moon is one of the loveliest; perhaps the crystalline air itself affects her. My friends Helen, Vicky and Olive grow restless after supper and decide to walk in the moonlit woods, even if the temperature is zero. The shadows on the snow are like etchings, and the only sound is the occasional cracking of an icy branch. On such a night in the woods, they feel a strange link with the universe and a renewal of their own identity. When they come in, they bring the smell of snow and pine and damp wood, and it takes a little time before they are ready to get out the popcorn and melt the butter and poke the fire.
In this age of tenseness, we all need such times to renew our souls.

-From Country Chronicle by Gladys Taber

2 comments:

Nan said...

I love this! I must buy more of her work. I've read them all from the library, and only own Stillmeadow Sampler. I'd love all her books to be on my shelf.

alison said...

Yes, Nan, you MUST buy more! I bought all mine on eBay, and many of them have names or inscriptions in the front, which adds to the appeal. My Country Chronicles has the name "Helen Bloom" in it, which I love!